How to draw Children tutorial!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

How to draw Children tutorial!

Post  Amelia on Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:35 am

As requested by Celestialsunberry, here is a look at children, and how they work.

When I first began to think about how to draw children, I had to recall all the instances when I was around children. The biggest impression I get from these recollections is that they are so spastic, and random with their movements. They, literally, can't sit still, and are always in mid-action, running for the fun of it, spinning in place while their parents are standing in line, imagining they are talking to an elephant, ect.
This means, that to draw a child, and make it look like a child, not only do you need the proportions to look right, but you also need to draw the child acting like a child. What real life child actually sits still, and stays calm all the time? None. Think of them as a being constantly in motion (you will often hear parents complaining about this fact ^.^). That is what you need to draw in order to get the effect of "child" across through your drawing.

Some things to think about when drawing a child:
1) Parents, for the most part, always try to dress their children in a "cute" way. This holds true especially for girls, I always see little girls in cute dresses, and sparklie tee-shirts and skirts. Their hair is always full of shiny clips, and tied back in little braids and pony tails. Boys are usually decked out in sporting gear, super hero tee-shirts, or some witty shirt.
2)Children often do things unconsciously, talking with that elephant like I mentioned above. they will be having this conversation out loud of course. They will be talking to the elephant, then they will make a trunk with their arm pretending they are the elephant talking back to them(aloud of course). They don't realize that this is embarrassing to the parent that is with them, nor that they are getting funny looks from everyone else in the store. They also do things like play with their cloths, balling them up and so on. They will also brush hair out of their face with no regard for making sure to do this action in such a way that keeps their hair tidy. And, when they are fighting bad guys, they will trow themselves into the grass to dodge an attack, or to pose to unleash their strongest attack.
3)Children have no sense of "keeping clean" and have no sense not to "mess with their hair" because of the tendency to do things unconsciously. So, I often see what USED to be a cute hair style, that is now falling out of its ponytail, or clothing that is not straight on the child's body, or grass stains on clothing.

Thinking about how children act is one aspect of capturing their visage appropriately, however, you also need to get the anatomy correct. I usually draw children about 4 heads tall, as seen in the image above.

Some things to remember are:
1)Children don't really have curves/ muscle tone at all, they are not developed yet, its common in anime to draw skinny little loli that are just a miniature of a full grown woman, but that is not was kids look like. they still have baby fat, so they are this strange squishy consistency, and do not really have curves. This squishy-ness is also because they have not developed a lot of muscle mass.
2)The face of children is quite round, the less round it is, the older your character will look.
3)Boys and girls grow at different rates, girls often are taller then boys before high school.

Another thing to consider is where the nose and mouth are located on the face.

Here are some growing up images;

Getting the idea of children is the first step to drawing them correctly, if you know and understand adult proportions, you just have to make them smaller and less complex for children (less curves and muscle mass). I think the best thing to do to make a child drawing look like a child is to try to capture the child in mid-action.
I hope this was what you were asking for Celestialsunberry, if you want a more in depth anatomy tutorial I can make another^.^
Hope this helps for now though~
Amelia

Last edited by Amelia on Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:36 am; edited 1 time in total

Amelia
Admin

http://www.flossandchaos.com

Back to top Go down

Re: How to draw Children tutorial!

Post  monisawa on Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:50 am

Wow! I am truly impressed by this tutorial Amelia. I've never seen you draw children, so naturally I was surprised when you offered to do this, but seeing it complete...I'm not sure what to say! ^_^ You really got the basics of children and their personality down-pact and your children have a very distinct-devoped quality about them.

Honestly this tutorial is more than I would've done. haha! Razz Maybe I will throw together a sheet of my own ideas to add to yours (since you took care of the basics). X_x depending on time... we shall see. Haha!

monisawa

http://www.jerbl.com/monisawa/

Back to top Go down

Post  SandViper on Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:49 am

There's also the Bethesda Oblivion method where you just omit children entirely.

SandViper

Back to top Go down

Post  Amelia on Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:55 am

Haha, that too! That is rather odd though... that there are no children in Oblivion...

Can you imagine how big the stork would have to be to carry full grown adults to the Oblivion world?

Last edited by Amelia on Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:37 am; edited 1 time in total

Amelia
Admin

http://www.flossandchaos.com

Back to top Go down

Post  celestialsunberry on Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:49 pm

Wow, this is an amazing tutorial! Thank you, Amelia.

celestialsunberry

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top